Friday, 1 July 2016

Life Is Sweet with The Hummingbird Bakery

I am someone that has such a sweet tooth, combine it with my passion for baking and I am very much content. So that brings me to The Hummingbird Bakery Life is Sweet cookbook that I have been reviewing.


The Hummingbird Bakery Life is Sweet cookbook has 100 American style recipes that range from easy to slightly more difficult so any baker would be able to find something to suit them. There are sections in the book for: Cakes, Cupcakes, Layer Cakes, Pies, Cookies and Candies, Traybakes, Pancakes, Ice Cream, Puddings, Bread and Savouries. With a cookbook, it is great to be creative by making something you may not have even heard of, or tried. The cakes that I am loving from the book and can't wait to try is the Tunnel of Fudge Cake and the Brownie Pudding. Yum!. And yes I am very much a chocolate lover.



Mabel and I decided to make the Lemon Drops as our first attempt in delving into this book. I thought they would be a nice option to try as she can really help through the process of mixing everything together as well as having a nice little treat at the end. 


Ingredients (25)
115g Unsalted Butter, softened
Zest of 2 Lemons
215g Caster Sugar
1 Large Egg
60ml Fresh Lemon Juice
60ml Cold Water
270g Plain Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 175°C. Line three large baking sheets with non-stick baking parchment.

2. Using a freestanding electric mixer with the paddle attachment or a hand-held electric whisk, cream the butter, lemon zest and sugar together for around 5 minutes on a medium-high speed until light and fluffy.

3. Add the egg, lemon juice and water to the butter mix and combine together on a low speed. The mixture will look slightly curdled, but that's fine. (It definitely looked curdled for me but trust me it all came out fine in the end). Sift the dry ingredients together in the bowl and add to the creamed mixture. Mix further with a spatula to make sure all is well mixed, but not overbeaten.


4. Measure out 30g rounded tablespoon-sized pieces of cookie batter onto the baking sheets, leaving 3cm between them.

5. Bake for 12-14 minutes, then cool for 5 minutes before removing carefully to a wire rack to cool completely.


These lemon drops came out perfectly, which was great because following the recipe was so simple. Within a couple of days, they were all gone. They were just too moreish to save.

I am now very excited about trying some more recipes and hopefully will find some new favourites. I would very much recommend this book to any baker that would like to expand their creativity and knowledge of desserts and bakes. It will definitely make a great addition to your collection.

You can find the Cookbook over on Amazon.

*I received The Hummingbird Bakery Life is Sweet Book for free. All opinions are my own.*

SHARE:
© MABEL AND ME. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig